Because of the potential damage and danger should wartime conflict cause it to fall, the GPO clock tower was dismantled in 1942.
In 1964, A W Edwards was contracted to re-erect the tower using the original stones and other fabric, which had been stored by the GPO since the World War II.
In 1988, A W Edwards was also contracted for the restoration of the GPO façade, a demanding and painstaking heritage restoration largely in stone.
Martin Place Sydney
Restoration & Construction
Australian Construction Services