- Taronga Zoo Entry Precinct & Carpark
- Taronga Zoo Conservation Society
- Bradleys Head Road Mosman
- BVN Architecture
- Project description
The project consisted of the creation of the new Inner Plaza and the Outer Plaza at the front entrance to the zoo.
The Inner Plaza involved a zone of buildings and paved areas for primary circulation, information gathering and amenities, and directing patrons to the zoo entry. Two new buildings were constructed:
- A new Retail Building, comprising a café with indoor and outdoor seating adjacent to the waterbird exhibit
- A new Facilities Building, comprising pubic amenities, ticketing and staff offices
A new boardwalk and stairs have been constructed to allow access to and from the Inner Plaza.
The restored heritage Entrance Building forms the “gateway” from the Outer Plaza to the Inner Plaza. The external doors to the building form the boundary between the two plazas.
The Outer Plaza comprises the forecourt area, including the restoration of the Heritage listed former Tram Shed, into the Zoo Friends Office.
The former asphalt car park has been transformed into a grassed and landscaped overflow car park for use on peak visitor days.
- MBA Excellence in Construction Awards – Restoration of an Historic Building ($5.0m and over) 2011
Master Builders Association